By Joel Faflak,Julia M. Wright
- Focuses on British Romanticism whereas additionally addressing continental and transatlantic Romanticism and previous periods
- Utilizes key phrases similar to mind's eye, chic, poetics, philosophy, race, historiography, and visible tradition as issues of entry to the learn of Romanticism and the theoretical issues and the tradition of the period
- Explores subject matters significant to Romanticism stories and the severe tendencies of the final thirty years
Read or Download A Handbook of Romanticism Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks) PDF
Best literary gothic & romantic criticism books
The Neural chic brings contemporary paintings in cognitive neuroscience to undergo on a few famously vexed matters in British Romantic reviews. In fascinating and remarkable methods, Alan Richardson demonstrates how advancements within the neurosciences can rework the research of literary heritage. Richardson provides six exemplary reviews, every one exploring a distinct intersection of Romanticism and the sciences of the brain and mind: the event of the elegant and the neuroscience of phantasm; the Romantic mind's eye and visible imaging; the determine of apostrophe and linguistic thought; fictional representations of the brain and "theory of brain" thought; depictions of sibling incest and neo-Darwinian theories of psychological habit; and representations of lady speech and cognitive developmental psychology.
Previous Mortality (1816), which many reflect on the best of Scott's Waverley novels, is a swift-moving old romance that locations an anachronistically liberal hero opposed to the forces of fanaticism in seventeenth-century Scotland, within the interval notorious because the `killing time'. Its imperative personality, Henry Morton, joins the rebels so as to struggle Scotland's royalist oppressors, little as he stocks the Covenanters' severe spiritual ideals.
This learn first examines the marginal repertoire in recognized manuscripts, the Psalter of man de Dampierre and an Arthurian Romance, inside of their fabric and codicological contexts. This repertoire then presents a template for a longer examine of the marginal motifs that seem in eighteen comparable manuscripts, which variety from a Bible to illustrated models of the encyclopedias of Vincent de Beauvais and Brunetto Latini.
From its first factor, released at the tenth October 1802, Francis Jeffrey's "Edinburgh overview" validated a robust attractiveness and exerted a strong effect. this can be a literary examine of the "Edinburgh evaluation" for over fifty years. It contextualizes the periodical in the tradition wars of the Romantic period.
- War at a Distance: Romanticism and the Making of Modern Wartime
- Reflections of Revolution: Images of Romanticism: Volume 12 (Routledge Library Editions: Romanticism)
- Tropical Gothic in Literature and Culture: The Americas (Routledge Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Literature)
- The Scandal of Rhetoric. On "Otherness" of Metaphor in Gothic and Monstrosity
Extra resources for A Handbook of Romanticism Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks)